How Artificial Intelligence can help with Traffic Analysis | AI in Road Traffic Safety Management System
We developed a road traffic analysis system for a system integrator executing a governmental project. The developed system can process video streams from traffic cameras and perform analysis of road scenes: detect objects and estimate their properties (trajectory, speed, etc.), identify traffic jams and violations, recognize car models and their license plates, and more. The system provides a safer environment for the city and the ability to monitor roads without human intervention.
The customer, a system integrator executing governmental projects, required a road traffic analytics system that would identify different road entities (cars, pedestrians, bicycles, etc.), track them, and perform further analysis, e.g., identify car type, model, and make, color and other. The main challenge was to create a robust Data Science System that could be easily transferable across different camera types and points of view, as well as to work in different environments.
Solution by AI Superior
The system that we developed includes multiple analytical components:
- Road entities detection (cars, pedestrians, bicycles, trucks, buses, motorcycles)
- Object tracking
- Car speed estimation
- Car color recognition
- Car type, brand, and model recognition (7000+ unique models)
- License plate recognition and validation
- Traffic intensity analysis
- Anomaly detection (e.g., a pedestrian on a highway)
- Illegal parking analysis
The components were developed as independent modules allowing for customization of the whole system. The unique features of the system are:
- Ability to detect and classify partly occluded objects
- Identify car model production year
- Supports recognition of commercial vehicles
- It can be adjusted to different traffic environments
- Allows to be updated with new car models
- Allows more features, e.g., advanced tracking or events detection
Outcome and Implications
The Data Science System was deployed by a city’s municipality and is successfully running 24/7, covering hundreds of cameras.